A few days ago, I was out in the backyard, just enjoying a rare warm and sunny day here in Texas. It was very quiet, a rather windless evening and my wind chimes weren’t singing the tiniest bit of a melody.
I love windchimes. Depending on the kind you have, the sounds can be strikingly different, yet very harmonious. I have one with wood and a tin one that is hung at opposite ends of my patio. I confess that sometimes when I am in Home Depot or Wal-Mart, I touch the windchimes ever so gently just so I can hear them create musical magic. If you look at Pinterest or Etsy, there are DIY projects for windchimes. Hundreds of creative projects that let you use the refuse of our over junked lives to make something beautiful and useful.
Today, I was thinking about the time I spent relaxing on the patio, enjoying the windchimes’ serenade and I realized there is a lesson in the ballad of the windchimes.
- Windchimes are perfectly content to be still and silent. Aging is a difficult season sometimes. It is okay to slow down and rest and make time to be rejuvenated.
- Windchimes make their music even if they haven’t had music lessons. Just because one is a mature person, there is nothing to say that there is no gusto in this life you can grab on to. This life has so much to offer regardless of your age. Don’t be fooled into believing that you can’t have a second career, go back to school, join the Peace Corp, foster/adopt a child, take those salsa lessons or live a life with love and romantic passion.
- Windchimes don’t fight with the wind when it blows. They use that catalyst to be who they were meant to be. The harder they are pushed, the louder they sing. Just because you encounter physical challenges (and financial ones too) doesn’t mean you have to give up and lead a life that is colorless, bland and unfulfilling. Use the adversities you encounter as a reminder that you can do whatever it is that you know you have a purpose to do, albeit a bit slower, but, accomplishable!
- Windchimes arent concerned about their exterior. They just do what they were meant to do. So, that hourglass figure is a more like the doughboys, that six pack has dwindled down to a milk jug. Who cares? Your feet are swollen, your body has bulges that were up once and are down now. But, you’re still breathing and your mind still works. The outside may not look the same, but, your ability to make music in only the way you can remains.
- Windchimes don’t’ see life as a competition. And, neither should you. Life is a gift that is unwrapped and done so quickly. Spend your time creating a space in this world that is not only a peaceful spot for yourself but is a haven from chaos for everyone you meet. Send forth soothing melodies with every interaction.
Boomer wisdom wants to encourage everyone, especially seniors, that as long as you can feel the wind, you can still sing a song that brings joy to someone. Share “you”, your expertise, your wealth, your knowledge, your love with someone who desperately needs to know that no matter our composition, (black, red, white, brown) or the trials at hand, there is a melody that can soothe the hurts of this life. You’ll find that not only will you make a difference in the life of others, your existence will be enhanced and enriched as well. Catch the next breeze and make some music!
Blessings to you all.